Wednesday, January 6, 2010

2010 & Random Ramblings

Well here we are in 2010. Hope it's a great year. Any resolutions? I'm not a big resolution kind of girl. Every year I would like to be a little more organized. This year I'm hoping to work on my scanning photos project and I'd like to learn how to use my new fancy schmancy camera well. These are only plans though, not resolutions.

On to some very important subject matter.... So I was invited to a baby shower. The guest of honor is a lovely gal and a friend. I don't know many of her other friends, we generally get together with our husbands. Well I got an evite with a save the date and details to follow. Checked my calendar, no plans, so I confirmed my ability to attend. Last night the details arrived: tapas and drinks outdoors at the Ritz. Oh and guests pay a fee of US$62.50. Plus a request to donate ~$40ish US$ to a gift. Say what? Tell me ladies is this a new trend I am unaware of? Asking guests to pay to go to a baby shower? I often think I need to be paid to attend some of these events. Especially when they want you to smell baby diapers and drink bottles in front of strangers. I'm a little perplexed. Frankly, I'd rather spend the money on a gift of my own choice. I likely won't spend much quality time with the g-o-h at the shower. And while the idea of over priced sparkling water and a handful of nibbles on a lovely January day at a luxury Caribbean resort sounds dreamy, it's just not sitting well with me. In my opinion you either host and foot the bill or come up with a more reasonably priced venue, like say your house. So tell me what you think. Please, I really want to know!

Well the kiddies are up now so I'd better get going. Oh, guess what? Our shower door spontaneously shattered into complete smithereens. Yes, the one that we JUST finished. There's something about that bathroom....

Until next time-

Elle :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally agree.

chelsea said...

OMG that's nonsense. I don't know how close this friend is, but I would be incredibly tempted to just not go and spend $100 on a gift instead.

SouthernBelleJM said...

I think that's kinda tacky personally, but that's jmo. I might opt to throw a co-ed showers which is what all of our friends have been doing for their wedding showers. That way, all the husbands and wives could get together which could be good for a baby shower too.

Kristen said...

I agree with SouthenBelle - seems tacky to ask you to pay. I am thowing my girlfriend a baby shower and wouldn't dream of asking the guests to chip in! If you offer to throw the shower, you should be willing and ready to finance it!

I mean, you wouldn't ask wedding guests to split out the $$ that it costs to plan the wedding would you?

Llama said...

First of all...damn. Are you kidding me? It broke already? Oh man!!!!
Seriously...i have been asked before to contribute money like that i I really dont like that. I think that it is unethical and plain RUDE. The worst is that people will absolutely frown upon you if you do not participate.

Mandy said...

Gosh, that's a lot of money. People go crazy in UK too and I'm just glad I don't actually know anyone! They all go to mainland Europe or Bali or something for stag dos and weddings!!