Monday, December 7, 2009

Holiday Obsessions

Happy Monday!

I thought I'd take this opportunity to confess my holiday obsessions. There are silly things in life I obsess over like the holiday decorations, my holiday cards, scrapbook pages, etc... and more important things that I do not obsess over like the dishes in the sink, the unmade bed, the piles of laundry. But hey those are all hidden and my house looks fabulously festive!

When we were growing up our Christmas tree was a mish-mash of "anything goes". We had homemade ornaments, baby's first ornaments, assorted lights, m&m lights, bubble lights, musical lights, blinking lights, etc... It wouldn't have been featured in a glossy magazine, but it had our hearts and lives in it and we LOVED it. When we all got older, I told my mom it was time. Time to keep the mish-mash tucked away and get some new coordinated and beautiful ornaments. So we did - she had a gorgeous burgundy and gold tree and it was good. All the kids were older and we didn't miss the other tree.

I used to judge my friends who had the pretty tree in their house with young kids. They'd tuck the ornaments that didn't quite fit the bill around the back of the tree or leave them out all together. I hate to admit it, but I, for the most part, have become one of these people. I obsess about my holiday decor. Tree: beautiful, turquoise, green, silver and gold ONLY!!! Garlands: turquoise and brown ONLY!!! Dining room: traditional colors ONLY!!! Wreath - well that has yet to be determined.

Don't hate me yet!!! So today I went out and got a cute little 4 footer with multi colored lights especially for the kids. My daughter can decide if she'd like it next to the big tree or in the playroom. It will be our anything goes tree and I think that's a good compromise. Do you?? When I have a mo, I will take some pics and share.

Better go take my lunch dishes to the sink and maybe I should start the dishwasher....

Elle :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I definitely tuck certain ornaments in the back of the tree (or way down at the bottom) but in my defense, one of them is a six-pack of beer.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

We always did that in my fam. My Mom had her show tree and my sister and I had our memory ornament tree!

Llama said...

I totally love the "anything goes" tree. I had the same kind of tree as you did growing up...now living on my own I too have become somewhat traditional. Im not sure if it will change when I have kids, yet if it doesn't I will def. have to try an anything goes tree!

Kayla said...

Haha... I have to admit, I'm still a miss-match kind of tree girl. I figure it's for us anyway. But I do like themed tree's as well. I have to say growing up, anything went on the tree and I'll probably keep it that way at our home once we have children. I'm glad you got a tree for a anything goes tree! Very neat idea!

SouthernBelleJM said...

Oh my, me too! Since it's the first Christmas in the new house, my bf and I didn't have money to spend on a lavish new tree. My cousin wanted a new LED pre-lit tree; so, he gave us the pre-lit tree he purchased just last year. I was very grateful. As we put up the tree, I notice a Donald Duck thing inserted into one of the light sockets.(we don't have kids)I took it out; because, well, Donald Duck really doesn't go with my red and gold themed tree. Then, LC politely informed me that you have to put something in the socket in order for the lights to work. One light out, and none of the lights will work. So, I put Donald Duck back into the socket, and needless to say, that side of the tree is against the wall for no one to see=)

Kristen said...

I too and a "matchy" tree type gal. But I think that is a great compromise to let the kids have thier tree, plus they get to decorate it so really win-win!